Friday 28 June 2013

But whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

So I've applied for two car loans the past month. The first one was for a brand new Chevrolet Spark, but unfortunately it got declined. "It's ok," I thought, "maybe I just don't earn enough yet, even though it is a relatively cheap car." So I then decided to go for a second hand Getz for half the price of the spark. I thought I was sure to get approved for this one! But alas, no. I knew I could easily afford the payments, I don't really have anything else that I'm paying off except for my rent, cellphone contract and internet. But that was exactly my problem. The reason they never approved me wasn't because I couldn't afford it, it was because I "had no references"...

They declined me because I do not have enough debt.

Now this goes against everything I have ever learned as a child; "Never fall debt. It's a bad thing and it will only make you poorer. Only make debt when you are buying a car or a house." Well Mom and Dad, I tried buying a car, and I learned that you're wrong on this one. I NEED debt.

But I know where they're coming from. Too much debt can be a bad thing. When the payments take out your whole salary, and you need to get another loan to buy your necessities, that's when you've gone a bit overboard.

But the fact remains, you need debt to make debt.

That sounds a bit familiar, doesn't it?

"ENTRY LEVEL POSITION AVAILABLE, 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT"

Yeah, I thought so. We've all gone through our first ever job hunt. You need experience to gain experience. But how do you get your initial experience if nobody wants to hire you due to your lack of experience? Sure, there are a few places that would take in trainees, but those are rare.

Your first job hunting experience is usually your hardest (except when you lose your job at 50. Good luck finding another job then as well).

But wait, there's more!

The exact same principle applies in entrepreneurship. In order to make money, you need to have money. You need start-up capital to run your business. The more capital you have, the faster and more efficiently your business will run. The more you invest, the more you get out in the end.

Even if you do not run your own business, merely putting enough money in a savings account or bank investment can make you rich. But to do that, you need enough money in the first place.

And in the end, those of us who do not have enough debt, experience or money, stays stuck in a rut, struggling like a rat in a sewer to get out.

So it's true what they say in the Bible:

Mark 4:25 For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.

Matthew 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

Matthew 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

No comments:

Post a Comment