Sunday 23 June 2013

#Hashtags...

I have never been a huge twitter fan. I already have facebook, and if I want any updates from a famous person or business, I like their page on facebook and get all my updates there. Thus, I never really saw the point in twitter. It's like facebook, except anybody can follow you, not like facebook where they need to add you as a friend first.

Shortly after Twitter, Instagram followed, which made even less sense to me. There is a quote from 2 Broke Girls I read on the internet once (though I never even watched the show) which states “Twitter is stupid and Instagram is Twitter for people who can’t read.”
I agree with that statement 100%...

One thing that Twitter was famous for is the hashtag function. Though I see the use of hashtags in the right context, #there #are #some #stupid #people #who #doesn't #seem #to #know #what #they're #supposed #to #fucking #use #it #for. Instagram later decided to join the hype.

In the end, Facebook stood out like the lone survivor of a zombie apocalypse in the hashtag frenzy of the social media circles. Hashtags invaded, used continuously by stupid people who got so engrossed in the Hashtag frenzy that they now do it out of habit, even though hashtags are utterly useless on facebook and do nothing more than irritate other people with IQ's higher than Nelson Mandela's current sperm count.

But this story does not have a happy ending...

One jolly day I came home after a long day's work, and decided to log into my facebook to check out the normal everyday hubbub. I scroll down through the posts of friends getting engaged or pregnant (yes, I'm at that age where everyone around you starts getting married and I'm just sitting in my flat watching Adventure Time), down past the Instagrammed pictures of Scottish Terriers and sunsets, past the Like if you love Jesus chain mail messages posted by your everyday hypocrite, past the normal Hashtagging idiot... But then I had to scroll back up. There was something different about this hashtag. Was it supposed to be blue? But- but- blue is supposed to represent a link? What kind of sick joke is this? With my heart beating in my throat I clicked the link, hoping for it to be a cleverly disguised link to a facebook page or something. But no. What I saw was what I feared. Hundreds upon hundreds of posts all containing the said hashtag I clicked on.

The last hero in the hashtag zombe apocalypse has fallen...



2 comments:

  1. damn dis sad.. maar moet mens facebook soos eers update of iets sodat die hashtags kan werk, want my hashtags is nog swart en ek kan nie op dit click nie? Maar dis dalk beter so haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ek weet nie hoe jy hastags maak nie, as ek dit op die pc doen dan kom dit reg uit.

      Delete